University Avenue Corridor Study
About this Project
University Boulevard is a significant east/west arterial within the City of Durant, OK serving as a primary connection between the SE Oklahoma State University on the east and commercial and residential areas on the west. Within the corridor between 49th Ave. and Washington Avenue, University Blvd. serves a regional hospital, access to US 69, the City’s major retail and commercial areas between US 69 and Radio Road and provides a connection to developing areas to the west.
The roadway capacity of this segment of University Blvd. varies from three lanes generally from Washington Ave. to Radio Road (providing a two-way left turn lane between the signalized intersections) to two lanes east of Radio Road. Within the more built up areas the roadway has curb and gutter, were west of Radio Road there are limited shoulders. There are numerous driveway access points along the entire segment.
EST prepared a comprehensive study to provide the City with a menu of recommendations to respond to the traffic congestion concerns within this Corridor. The comprehensive objectives of this project included:
- Objectively study this two mile segment (under current and future traffic conditions),
- Identify the cause of delays,
- Assess the other known “bottle necks”,
- Assess the current signal timing and efficiency at the four signalized intersections:
- Radio Road,
- Westside Drive,
- Bryan Drive and
- Washington Avenue, and
- Provide recommendations for short and long term improvements.